Desert Dogs

Post subject: Desert Dogs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:01 am 
420th Member

Some pics from flights in ITO last night with Spaz and Weinerman.

Start of the business day -- climbing out of Ramat David.

Sunrise over the desert.

On Spaz's wing.

Less one MIG-23.

Destruction.

Last mission of the night -- low level strike on a weapons factory plant east of Lebanon. Upon firing up the RWR during ramp, we were being hard-locked by 21's, 25's and 29's. Not the best start. We sat in our bunkers and on the taxi for a bit while spaz requested assistance. Two flights of F-15s came into our area and allowed us to sneak off the base. We flew NOE to our IP in the mountains immediately west of the target. The plan, somehow get there, pop-up in the mountains, drop our bombs and get the hell out of dodge.

Spaz's target was primary, so i put myself 0.5mi in trail. As soon as spaz hit the IP, he popped up and was greeted with a surprise (cock-fag!) -- there was an SA-6 at the target site that was not identified during our brief. He was launched on immediately and went defensive. I dove deeper into the mountains, and pressed toward the target. I decided to clear the mountains and pop-up as close as i could to the target. As soon as i was over the sand, the launches were fast and furious. I was able to avoid the first 2 easily (shown below), but the third should have had me. I've never missed that close -- it should have gone off due to proximity. At this point, spaz was re-engaging and i was too close so they stopped launching at me. Got both bombs off CCIP -- secondary targets destroyed. As i swung west to get back into the mountains, another SA-6 launched and got my tail. I tried to eject at 500 ft, but the chute didn't open and i died. :( Spaz got his bombs off on the primary but unfortunately caught an SA-6 as well. Lost both jets, but the target was destroyed. Not the best of missions in that neither of us survived, but it was COOL AS HELL!! Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Desert Dogs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 am 
420th Member

Harlequin wrote:
Some pics from flights in ITO last night with Spaz and Weinerman.

ROFL :D

Nice shots, Harley.