Ostsee Theater

Post subject: Ostsee Theater
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 am 

While there is no working campaign, I'm pretty impressed with what he has done with the terrain and all the objects. There was definitely a FPS hit, but it might show some promise for future versions.

I have some criticisms about colors (purple clouds - :P ) and reflections, but overall, was impressed. Some shots from the pit...

Get it here... https://tomsflightart.jimdo.com/

Post subject: Re: Ostsee Theater
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:29 am 
420th Member

I have it, just haven't added it to my install.

Right now in it's current form, it won't ever amount to anything other than a TE theater.

There are 20,378 objects in the te_new.tac file. 12 have names, lol, the airbases.

You can only name 2600 objects!! The highest amount of objects in any other Theater is Balkans at nearly 7000, and that's the reason a lot of the objects, like bridges(over 3000) show on the map as "Nowhere".

If you read Toms thread, he plans to add more, it's just not going to fly with the Falcon code in it's current state.

I only got it to see how he was capturing and doing his terrain tiles. Another problem exists here, which you mentioned about the FPS hit. A lot of his tiles are 4096 resolution. That's why they look good.

The highest resolution I've ever seen in any theater until this is 1024. Although some had done a few airbases with 2048 reso.

Like you said it looks good, but I can just about guarantee it's not going to go anywhere soon, if ever. I applaud his attention to detail but he must not understand the limitations of Falcon as a whole.(Actually I know he doesn't as I've seen some things he's posted and a few times he said he didn't know stuff.)

Sort of a shame that, IMO, he's wasting his time with the direction he's moving instead of building a beautiful theater that would have functional campaigns which Falcon was designed to do. Not to mention, he's doing it for the most part on his own. Not that that can't be done, but the project he is involved with and what he says he's going to continue to do just isn't practical.

BUT, his DB is ripe for ripping apart and adding some of his models and stuff to other DB's, like the one I'm building now!!! HAHA

In a nutshell, he's a modeler, not a theater builder. And one thing I learned when I was on the FreeFalcon team, was don't let artist touch anything but what they know how to do, and that's art!!!

Brian